Micro-needling (MN) is a technique that uses tiny sterile micro-needles to create very small, controlled “injuries” to skin. These microscopic injuries then heal, resulting in collagen and elastin rejuvenation. It also allows for active ingredients to be absorbed into the deeper skin layers. MN is safe for all skin types including dark skin that is at increased risk for side effects with lasers.
Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) and Growth Factor Serums are often used with micro-needling for additional collagen stimulation. PRP contains growth factors that stimulate cellular regeneration and new tissue growth, it also promotes healing and repair of sun damage. PRP is easily obtained from your own blood and mixed with a special reagent (we draw blood from you on the day of your treatment). Dentists and orthopedists are also using it for tooth and bone repair. Tiger Wood’s knee injury was treated with PRP. TNS is available in selected SkinMedica and Alphaeon products.
A Nationally Recognized Leader
Dr. Lorrie Klein’s rare combination of technical expertise and aesthetic sensibility puts her at the forefront of dermatologists nationwide. Dr. Klein’s reputation for providing natural-looking results is why she’s the choice of women and men from throughout Southern California and beyond.
Micro-needling is used to:
- Improve wrinkles, minimize pore size and induce skin tightening.
- Stimulate collagen production which promotes rejuvenation
- Improve surgical, traumatic, burn and acne scars
- Hyperpigmentation (brown spots and melasma)
- It may also improve stretch marks
We use the MicroPen for micro-needling, which uses sterile, disposable cartridges. While darker skin types are more prone to side effects from lasers they are usually ideal candidates for micro-needling. It is also ideal for patients who do not want laser treatments but want more rejuvenation than what typical peels and microdermabrasion can offer.
Micro-needling can be performed immediately after some laser treatments and on the same day as Pelleve treatments. It can also be combined with microdermabrasion for an enhanced result.
Treatments are usually performed monthly, although lighter (less deep) treatments may be performed more frequently. We recommend 3 treatments when micro-needling is used with PRP, 6 if used without PRP. More treatments may be necessary when treating scars and stretch marks.
Real Patients. Real Results.
We provide photos of our patients because we think the results speak for themselves. Browse our digital photo gallery of real patients online to discover the possibilities.
Preparing for your micro-needling treatment:
- Avoid retinoids and treatments for auto-immune disease for 24 hours before your treatment
- Avoid sun exposure to the treated area for 24 hours before your treatment
- We recommend you apply numbing gel 1 hr. before your treatment for comfort (available in our office).
- Arrive at our office with a clean face (no makeup) except for numbing gel if desired.
- Do not schedule this procedure if you have used Accutane/Isotretinoin within the last 6 months.
- ***If having micro-needling with PRP, be sure to drink lots of fluids several hours before your appointment to allow for a successful blood draw. If you are dehydrated and we cannot obtain enough blood, your appointment will need to be rescheduled or done without PRP.
What to expect and post-treatment instructions for micro-needling:
- Our staff will instruct you when to remove your numbing gel, do not remove it until told to do so.
- During the first 1-3 days you will look red (like a sunburn) and your skin may feel warm and tight.
- During the first 3 days: use a gentle cleanser, sunscreens and gentle moisturizers. Apply 1% hydrocortisone as needed for irritation. Avoid swimming, strenuous activity, exercising and sun exposure.
- We highly recommend using SkinMedica TNS Recovery Complex, SkinMedica Essential Serum or Alphaeon Growth Factor Serum between and after your treatments to accelerate and maintain your results.
- Avoid makeup, retinoids, glycolic acids, vitamin C products, sunscreens and Essential Serum the first night.
- Additional instructions when PRP is used: Avoid retinoids for 2 weeks and avoid lasers and IPL treatments to the treated areas for 4 weeks after the treatment (although they may be performed before the treatment.)